I'm just me....

Wednesday, September 29, 2004

unconditionally yours

In thinking about the word unconditional partnered with the word love, I have realized that although I understand the concept, I am not sure what it really looks like. I have mostly seen love as being a finite object rather than a living organism that grows with time. I love the idea of love, think of it as a feel good thing, when in reality it seems to be about sacrifice and selflessness. If it seems unequal then you would probably be right. How about willingly laying down our lives for someone else even if that means that we will pay the price for something we didn't do. How is it humanly possible to love this way? Even if there is some divine help available, I think I need a picture of what this thing looks like too. I am big into maps, so if you highlight the roads to take I can probably follow it.

I am pretty sure that I have done the opposite of unconditional love and have mostly attempted to condition people so I could love them. One of Webster's definitions of condition is to put into a better state, or in the case of hair conditioner, to make smooth and shiny. If my hair is flyaway and sticking up in a few spots, I can not and will not love it, but the "do" that is tangle free and cooperative under the blow dryer can always count on my love and affection. Can we truly love without conditions? Can we love without manipulating and controlling people into someone that we think they should be. It may even be what they were created to be, but is it our job to put the conditioner in?

I think our job is simply to love. Deeply, sincerely, and at all times. If there is changing to do, then I'm pretty sure that's covered in a different job description that we will never have the qualifications for. I think in most cases love, if done unconditionally, will go to the deepest parts of our being and bring healing. We can be so quick to pick out the negative. I just want to see and encourage the positive in people. I don't want to run the risk of destroying the good along with the bad or have them hide who they really are just to feel loved and accepted.

Love is not a privilege, it is a gift. Love is taking some hits and responding with more love. The answer is always love. You know, the patient, kind, long suffering, enduring stuff. Love never fails. Never? How can that be? I want to know this kind of love that never fails and is perfect. I want to give this kind of love to everyone that I come in contact with. I think if we live this way regularly, it will become natural and given without reservation. Nothing and no one will be able to offend us. It should not be rationed or given with regard to rank or position. I want to give it to the last so that maybe they can be first.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home